Jan 9, 2011

Happy new blog!

The year has just started and so has this new blog of mine.
What an amazing coincidence, uh?

Well, actually at The roof kitchen I have been getting ready since a couple of months. Sort of flexing my muscles - or rather, sharpening my knives. Scrubbing my copper pots. You name it. I did not know I wanted it to start with the new year. I only knew I wanted a good excuse for a new blog on cooking, because the new house I had just moved in has the most adorable (and tiny) kitchen under the eaves that I could imagine. Cooking so close to the sky is definitely special and I longed to have a blog that stated it from the title on.

So, here comes The roof kitchen.

With the new year.

Because on Dec. 31 I got an exciting email that I felt was meant to usher me into 2011 in the best possible way.
That email not only told me I had been accepted among Leite’s Culinaria recipe testers (yay!): it also welcomed me in a wonderful community of people passionate about everything food and happy to share their experience and skills.
So, I thought it about time. Time to have a blog in English (I already have one in Italian). Being part of the nice group from David Leite’s site was a very powerful last straw. You see I usually leave lots of comments on the many English-speaking sites I follow – and I have always wondered, what if some other reader from those sites comes all the way back to my blog to find more about me, only to find an endless blurb written in Italian? I mean, if I am to share, and return a little of the lots of things I discover and learn every day, I may as well express myself in a language my fellows around the world can understand. 

One last word: up until now, I've hardly ever written in English anything longer and more formal than an email. So please be very patient with me and my mistakes - and feel free to point them out in the comments.

So, welcome to The roof kitchen. And to 2011 :)

9 comments:

  1. Marcella, very well written. You'd never know that writing in English doesn't come natural to you. Looks like you're off to a wonderful start. I look forward to coming back often and seeing what you have to say. Also a pleasure to be a fellow Leite's Culinaria Recipe Tester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow Joan, you are TRK's very first commenter (and follower)!

    thank you so much for your kind words. It's people like you that make the Testers' community such a nice place to be :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the blog world Marcella. I am excited to be recipe testing too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marcella - BRAVO! I can't wait to see more of your new kitchen and your new blog. And yes, I did go to your other blog, and you are right - I do not read or speak Italian so I was at a loss. Thank you for inviting me into your kitchen so we can converse here - and in a language which I am better at reading.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks @Janis and @Karen! I'm so happy to have you here in my kitchen :)
    @Karen I plan to post some pics as soon as the last works are over.
    I'm going to add you both to my blogshelf if you don't mind!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In bocca al lupo! Ops...break a leg (dicono così...ma anche no :) )!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well am following you too and will try (with my limited Italian understanding) to read your Italian blog too! Looking forward to more posts. And in terms of writing in English, well do not worry am too a foreigner writing in English therefore some of my sentences are structured more in a latin way. But hey... that's what makes me different right? Have been enjoying your comments on Leite's community!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sofia, muito obrigada :) I am with you on the latin way to structure my sentences eheheh :) and yes, anything that makes us different is some sort of a treasure we'd better preserve and be proud of, IMHO!
    You're on my blogshelf too :) thanks for following!

    ReplyDelete